Middle School Youth Group
My name is Scott Link and I’m the new coordinator of Youth Ministry here at St. Joe’s! I’ve been working in Youth ministry for over 10 years now. I graduated from Calvert Hall in ’99 and Lynchburg College in ’03. I was recently inducted into the Hall of Fame for lacrosse at Lynchburg and still play weekly with Severn River Lacrosse Club in Annapolis! I attribute my love for the Church to my awesome family (my four brothers and my amazing parents). I learned about faith from watch my mom praying for us constantly as we traveled back and forth from the hospital for stitches and casts (she should be canonized someday since it’s a miracle that we are all still alive, proof that prayer does work). I love all sports, mountain biking, being Catholic, traveling, movies, hiking, Italy (and all its food), the Pope, music, my gorgeous holy wife, my hilarious 3 daughters and doing youth ministry. My favorite saying is “In coelo quies est” (Latin) or “In Heaven there is rest.” I still can’t believe that I get paid to talk to teens about Jesus and the Church – sure beats tents making (like St. Paul). Be Holy, and I’ll see you in Heaven!
MSYG meetings typically take place on the first and third Fridays of the month from 6:30-8:00 pm in the SJCC Youth Center. A highlight of our Middle School Program is the “Summer Madness” week of service in July.
Middle School Youth Group – Meets 6:30-8:00 pm in the Youth Center at SJCC:
Friday, February 2
- We will be “Building the Kingdom.” If you think Legos are fun, come and see what we are going to build with 3000 Solo cups and tape! Bring a friend!
Friday, February 16
- Join us on this first Friday of Lent for a Video Scavenger Hunt! It will be a great night of faith, friends, and food (meatless pizza for Lent!)!
Friday, March 2
- Join us as we travel to Players Fun Zone in Westminster on Friday, March 2 for a fun night of laser tag, bumper cars, and more. The cost is $20 (plus optional spending money). Parents are asked to provide their own transportation for their children or arrange their own carpools. A limited number of spaces in cars are available for students who do not have a ride. We will “play” from 7:00-8:30 pm, so please arrive at Players around 6:50 pm. PERMISSION SLIPS and SIGN UPS are required and are available HERE.
Friday, March 16
- Join us in the church for Living Stations of the Cross, led by our SJCC teens. Sign up here if you’d like to help out. Families are encouraged to attend.
Summer Madness is an awesome opportunity for middle school parishioners to do community service, make friends with other middle school parishioners, and have fun! Summer Madness is designed to give middle school young people a chance to put their faith into action. Middle School teens spend their mornings volunteering at various organizations, including soup kitchens, nursing homes, horse rescues, farms, and more. The afternoons are reserved for fun outings and team-building activities.
The dates for Summer Madness 2018 are July 16-20.
Details about registration will be available in late February or early March.
We are looking for young people in 8th grade or older who sing and/or play a musical instrument (any instrument is great!). We rehearse on Sundays before the 5:00 pm Mass, then play at Mass. Contact the YM Office for more information.
Resources for Parents
- Beyond the Pew is a video resource that is specifically geared towards engaging parents. There are short, quick videos with practical ways for parents to bring the faith home. You can find the video blog here: http://beyondthepew.org/ or on their youtube channel
- SJCC offers families a free membership to the website FORMED.org which offers a huge selection of videos for all ages to grow in their faith. Enter parish code HR7RK7.
For more information about these ministries, please contact:
Youth Group Coordinator
Administrative Assistant for Youth Ministry