Saint Joseph Catholic Community expresses its concern for those struggling with depression and considering suicide as well as support for parents and families who have lost someone or are caring for someone in the struggle.
Our entire staff is at your service. While we recognize that no website or resource may provide all the answers you seek, the following material may be helpful to those looking for additional information on this topic.
Many of the following organizations have both general information on their website as well as downloadable resources of interest. (For specific resources we’ve judged to be exceptionally helpful, see below.)
- American Association of Suicidology: https://www.suicidology.org/
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention: https://afsp.org/
- National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI)–Maryland: http://namimd.org/
- SAVE (Suicide Awareness Voices of Education): https://save.org/
- Suicide Prevention Lifeline: https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/ | 800-273-TALK (8255)
Resources, Documents, Downloads
- Page of links to numerous resources on facts, statistics, prevention information, etc.: https://www.suicidology.org/resources/facts-statistics
- NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) Resource Page with several downloads on prevention, warning signs, etc.: http://namimd.org/resource_center_draft/suicide
- Extremely helpful 8-page newsletter (January 2016) from NAMI-MD on suicide, warning signs, prevention, etc. (PDF): http://namimd.org/uploaded_files/526/Suicide_Newsletter_FINAL_USE.pdf
- Excellent resource page from the National Catholic Partnership on Disability (including resources from a Catholic Perspective): http://www.ncpd.org/ministries-programs/micouncil/catechesis/suicide